No announcement yet.

How's the Weather Outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 3 weeks of almost NO rain, we are now getting what we need...and more! Big storms pounding Grand Lake, my yards and flowers needed it, but not all at once...and once the sun comes out, it will climb to the mid 90s...you can imagine the humidity coming

Comment

• Two days of heavy rains have given way to some sunshine, but more rain on the way tomorrow... Meanwhile the Sunflower crops, despite getting "Bent of out Shape" have started to show some blooms: The ground around the flowers is now saturated hopefully some drying out before the next batch...

Sunflower first 2022.jpg

Comment

• While it was nice and dry in Celina at daybreak yesterday, Patricia and I had a 85 mile trip south to make, as the 2 oldest Grandsons were in the Dayton Area Championships for their Miamisburg Swim Club...there is was still raining early and that would continue until about 10;30 or so...once the rain ended the day was humid with a mix of Sun and Clouds...

While the younger, 7 year old Kam, was competing against older kids, he did well, although there was one head scratching DQ {disqualification} actually two, one as an individual and one relay team...but all in all he garnered some points for his team, and bested his times in all 3 individual events...however the day belonged to older brother, 10 year old K~Man...Kasyn picked up 27 points for his team, by winning Gold in the 25 m Breaststroke, a Silver in the 50 M Freestyle, and a close 4th {missing 2nd by 1/16th of 100 of a second} along with anchoring his team's 3 and 4th place finishes in a couple of relays...

Enough Bragging on the Boys...using my new Canon Camera {always be a fan of Nikon but am changing quickly} I snapped about 175 photos, and got a couple of dozen worth keeping...including one at the finish of K~Man winning the Breaststroke ... a race he got off to a bad start, then down by a body length to two of his competitors ... he roared back to beat them at the wire...I was lucky enough to catch the moment...

He is in the Blue Skull Cap as he touches the timer bar a split second ahead of the guys in the lanes on each side of him: {There were 45 to 52 swimmers in each race, divided into several heats, with Kasyn's heat being comprised of the fastest qualifiers}

Kasyn wins the Gold at West Carrollton.jpg

Comment

• Driving out to the South Side of Grand Lake to see if I could "shoot" some Eagles, I drove by the State Wildlife Area and even though it was still pretty dark, I did spot some White Egrets and Deer feeding in the marsh...didn't have a tripod so I couldn't slow down the shutter speed to get the light I would have liked but snapped a few shots and did some on line editing ...

Here is the best one, albeit not that great...

Today back to near 90 with humidity in play...

Wildlife Morning on 703.jpg

Comment

• One of the brightest Full Moons of the year last night...I was out along the lake when the Big Orange Ball quickly came from behind some south side trees...didn't have my tripod, but did snap a couple of shots, not as good as I like but the orange show was pretty amazing for about 15 minutes until the Bright White took the moon back:

Moon Full Orange.jpg

Comment

• After nearly a month of dry, we in the Heartlands have become "bogged down" with too much rain...rained much of Friday, yesterday morning, and now storms throughout today and into tomorrow...enough already.

The only upside is it will be cool for at least today, because once the sun comes out the humidity really sucks...

Open House today, in the rain, at Mom's place. Only open for 90 minutes to let the gawkers take a look at what the place needs, before the Auction of Antiques, collectibles, and furniture, on July 30th...in the morning, then the House goes up at Noon...I have a bottom line price which I won't go below on the dwelling...we will see how that goes. In today's market, especially locally, where housing is in a sever shortage, I'm guessing it will go, but if not, hey I'll sit on it...Fonzi! Not going to worry about an investment sitting for awhile longer.

Comment

• GL with the sales Hoot. I never thought I would say this but send us your rains. We have been as dry as a popcorn fart here since mid June and really could use some rain. I began this spring complaining about the lawn growing way too fast but now the grass is all brown with weeds instead of green grass. The state is in the process of blacktopping the main road out in front of our house and doing the job right this time unlike the many times before where they did the tar and pebble BS fix. It looks great but that will soon become the MC Indianapolis 500 once finished and I am sure there will be numerous crashes.

Comment

• Hoot Gibson
                  Hoot Gibson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's the way we were, but now back to mowing every 3 or 4 days, if we can get a dry day in...got ours done last night inbetween rains...Flood watches now in effect thru tomorrow morning...

• Southwest Hot and Dry, Southeast Hot and Wet, Midwest just Fucked up, and New York State is Dry....next report, same as this one, up in short order....but if the Storms don't destroy my various Sunflowers, they are starting to go great guns here in the Heartland...Top to Bottom, Monmouth, Mexican, Moonwalker, and Big Red

Sunflower 2022 Monmouth.jpg Sunflower 2022 Mexican.jpg Sunflower 2022 Moon Walker.jpg Sunflower 2022 Red.jpg

Comment

• Couple of glorious Summer Days...upper 70s to near 80 bit humid because the recent rains, but nice in the shade with a breeze....Had the Auction at Moms yesterday...The Antiques and Collectibles went for more than expected, in total...Collectibles and some old firearms, 1840-50 Flintlocks, went for excellent money, while the antique cabinets, and wooded desks and others, went for less...but overall about 25% more than the Auctioneer thought...so happy with that.

The old homestead never got close to what I would have accepted, so told the Realtor/Auction guy to list it...meanwhile I will continue to look after the house and property, and pay the bills, until such a time as it gets to what I'll accept...might be a week, might be a year? Who Knows? But it's solid and told the sisters they could agree or disagree, but it was my call...and both had no problem with that decision...so the estate will stay unsettled for now...although the cash, stocks, and investments, were distributed months ago...so, will continue to mow, and pay utilities and taxes, insurance, on two places for now...which keeps me busy enough...

Comment

• Gary
                    Gary commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with your decisions until the costs and upkeep become too much of a burden on you alone. My brother has a similar situation with a house in Florida split between 3 brothers and a sister. None are there to do the chores so they pay to keep things cared for and split it 4 ways until it is sold. I think it is just $20/month each so not a big expense. Homes here in NY are selling pretty quickly which is surprising given the poor economy and high interest rates and taxes. A buddy is selling or trying to sell his place and has accepted 3 full price offers so far but every one fell through because they can't get the financing. He just accepted another offer yesterday but this one is supposedly an all cash offer $10K less but the guy is waving any inspections so it might go through and he is heading to NC. Hard to imagine folks have $290K in cash to buy a second home but probably from the NYC area and making $250K plus per year each. Another buddy just sold his original families home he grew up in down close to NYC. His parents bought it back in the 50s for $70K and he just sold it in 5 days for $810K to an all cash buyer. Must be nice to have homes left to you when the folks pass on. My property owner here was gifted with 120 acres and 5 homes when his mom passed but his dad is still alive in Florida at 98. The cheap SOB is always complaining about his taxes and expenses while he has 5 rental incomes paying every month on homes and property he got willed to him for nothing. One home is an AB&B that is constantly booked and in just one month he pays the full years taxes on the entire property and homes. Cry me a freaking river!

• This one they need financing and $10,000 down on the day of sale, or agreement...anybody that wants it, needs to pony up, not wait for the bank...I'm lucky enough and so are both sisters, especially the one in Florida, to not need to worry about the money end {until Biden fucking crashes the total economy}...and I just charge the estate, and pay myself for the money put out...If I was younger, I'd just buy the damn place, build a large garage with living quarters on one end, and use it as my getaway...lol, but at 73, screw that...if I was 20 years younger I would do it in a heartbeat...

Comment

• Perfect weather this morning...So...I got up early, for me, at 5:30, grabbed a Thermos of Coffee and headed out to the south side of Grand Lake...the Birds of all kinds were out in numbers this morning...after catching the Sunrise I Nabbed some Eagles, Blue Herons, Canada Geese, and the huge White Pelicans. A nice lake breeze was in the air, but back in the 90s for tomorrow and then Rain from Thursday thru Sunday is in the forecast. Next week the wife and I head for the Cabin in Brown County Indiana for 5 days....no Internet will be used when on vacation, unless there is an emergency...

August 2022 Sunrise GL.jpg August 2022 Eagle GL.jpg August 2022 Blue Heron GL.jpg August 2022 Canada Goose GL.jpg August 2022 White Pelicans on GL.jpg

Comment

• Humid and then showers...after the last one this afternoon, about 7pm, a double rainbow appeared, I didn't have the right lens on any of my cameras, but wife with her quality Iphone took a few shots, as it appeared over the east side of town then over the Immaculate Conception Church a few blocks away....

Rainbow 1.jpg Rainbow 2.jpg

Comment

• Gary
                        Gary commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Great pictures Hoot. Thanks for posting them.

• Leaving in the morning for Brown County, Indiana...{Don't try to rob the Castle, my gun toting neighbor is eye balling the place and has a fresh supply of reloaded ammo} in the morning...Wife and I will be gone for 5 days, at least, and off the grid, so you'll have to keep yourselves and this place busy and running without my help until late next week or the weekend

The Cabin has electricity and even Cable, but when Hoot is gone, he doesn't partake in any of the modern shit, unless there is an emergency ...

Brown County 1.jpg Brown County 15.jpg

Comment

• Enjoy your short get away Hoot and wife. We will keep the lights on for you while gone!

Comment

Working...
                        X