No announcement yet.

How's the Weather Outside?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks a lot Hoot! I woke up this morning to rain and 51 degrees. By 5 PM tonight it should be around 15 and going down below zero overnight. Snow is just arriving here now at 1 PM.

Comment

• Might have to wear socks with my sandals today.

Arizona Sun.jpg
      ''The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns, as it were, instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish squirting out ink''. -George Orwell

Comment

• Gary
        Gary commented
        Editing a comment
        We thought about visiting AZ some time this winter but then decided we would need to brush up on our spanish language skills. Friends who left here and moved down to TX are now second guessing their moves. Guess we will save our nickels and maybe try to make a trip out west this summer instead.

• Oh The Weather Outside Is Frightful
      But The Fire Is So Delightful
      And Since We’ve No Place To Go
      Let It Snow Let It Snow Let It Snow​

Snow.jpg
      ''The great enemy of clear language is insincerity. When there is a gap between one's real and one's declared aims, one turns, as it were, instinctively to long words and exhausted idioms, like a cuttlefish squirting out ink''. -George Orwell

Comment

• Hell Yeah...

Climate Change BS.png

Comment

• Crazy F****** Weather...after the deep freeze with wind chills approaching minus 40 today sunshine and 40 above...then over the New Year's Holiday Weekend and beyond, rain and in the lower 50s...gonna be a melted muddy mess, but still beats 40 Below on the skin,,,

Comment

• I cannot imagine what Buffalo will look like by New Year's Day? Gonna be near 50 or above here from now thru next Tuesday at least, and Buffalo is predicted to get rain and near 50 for the next week...that 4 feet of snow is gonna be one fugly mess...

Buffal Snow.jpg

Comment

• We had that happen here around 8 years ago and it was a hundred year flood. A freak snowstorm in early April dumped 20 inches on top of at least a foot that was already on the ground. The snow turned to rain and the temperature rose to around 50 overnight and it kept raining. Every inch of snow melted in less than 12 hours and the creek bordering my yard turned into a raging river. All the big rivers overflowed their banks and washed out most of the roads and bridges. When the electric went out I fired up my generator and all was fine until the generator engine blew up. It was still under the 1 year warranty and the store had a replacement in stock for me but I could not get to the store with all the bridges washed out. Good thing I still had the old generator that was too small to do much more than keep the fridge and freezer and a few lights working. There were a lot of lessons learned that week. My neighbor up the road spent a small fortune having a big whole house automatic generator system installed the previous November that runs on propane. Too bad the idiot was too cheap to get the propane tank filled and the system went dead when the gas ran out.
              Other neighbors who also had generators and should have been fine also failed to have fuel for them on hand for more than a day or so. I keep a constant supply of non E gas, 30 gallons, and I keep it rotated so it is always fresh and ready to rock. Neighbors wanted to borrow some of my gas but I said No and good thing I did because the power was out for 8 full days and so were the roads out for almost 5 full days. When the electric came back on I had about 8 hours of runtime left and was very lucky. One neighbor is still pissed at me but I did try to help him. I showed him how to syphon the gas out of his car and truck to run the generator with. Too bad both vehicles were close to empty when the storm hit. WTF? They say we can't fix stupid and they are right. With no electric in a home that has everything running on electric you need to have a plan B. No heat, no cooking on the electric stove and only enough wood for the fireplace to last a day or two plus no drinking water stored for emergencies and you are fucked.

Comment

• Hoot Gibson
                Hoot Gibson commented
                Editing a comment
                yep, if you are going to get a propane generator, make sure you're not to cheap to keep the tank filled, and get a big one...mine runs on natural gas, and am still waiting for the first big outage to see how it goes...it starts up every Sunday morning, hopefully when the power goes out, it will be in warmer weather...lol I have friends ...looking Montezuma's way, and family, looking son Sam's direction, that are always running on empty...I've had to come get both of them...drives me fugging nuts...

• Gary
                Gary commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't get it. They go an extra half mile to have what they need to be prepared but they drop the ball and are no better prepared when the SHTF.. A large generator running on gasoline might have a 5-7 gallon tank and might run for 12-15 hours on that fuel. Propane gensets run fine but they eat a lot more fuel so you need a much bigger reserve and a full tank at all times. I can't get either natural or propane here so I must have a good supply of non E gas on hand and I do. five 5 gallon jugs plus a full tank will run me for a full week. My coal stove and a kero heater in my basement, also with 20 gallons of kero on hand keeps my home well heated and protected. I also have 3 nice Mr. Heater portable units that run on either small 1 pound tanks or the 20 pound BBQ tanks.
                My idiot neighbor with a good generator but no fuel ended up with burst pipes in 2 bathrooms and it cost him over $5K in repairs all because he had no fuel.

• What a different a week makes...from -40 chill factors on Xmas Eve to 55 yesterday and now rain on the way, the Snow had melted in Grand Lake land, although the ice on the lake is still solid...however the ground is thawing and about to become a muddy mess, and by the time next Tuesday comes, when the say a high of 65, who knows?

The January Thaw has come a bit early...

Comment

• January 3rd, almost Riding Weather? 65 today, the rain is moving out, but despite the record high for this date, the streets are wet, the fog is off and on, and it's a muddy mess...cooler but not cold weather is on the way by Thursday...give me some sunshine and 40 degrees and I'll be happy till March or April...

Comment

• 50 here now and the only snow left are the banks from plowing. Rain on and off all day today and should get warmer later this week. I just had a fuel oil delivery this morning and wow did that hurt at $4.59/gal.

Comment

• 69 degrees 6:30 in the morning.... IMG_20230111_112554362_HDR.jpg
                    I will try not to blow the forum up!

Comment

• Looks about perfect...

Comment

• OK...we have not had a major snow event in my neck of the woods this season...but it appears that is about to change. Depending on your favorite weather service, it appears my Grand Lake Ohio region, under a Winter Storm Watch for the White Death, will get anywhere for 5 to 15 inches of Heavy, Wet, Snow, beginning about Midnight tonight and lasting for 24-36 hours...the Snow Blower is up and ready, but if it's Heavy and Wet, it won't be easy...I'm thinking, if the worst happens, just making one path in the long driveway, take care of the sidewalks in front and west side, then take the Jeep Wrangler and run back and forth thru the freaking driveway...and making a pass. Since the temperatures won't drop much out of the 30 degree range, not worried about it hardening to ice...

We will see what shakes out...

Jeep Nitro Snow.jpg

Comment

• I got slammed with about 7" of that heavy wet stuff yesterday and just finished blowing it a few minutes ago. 5-15" heading my way after it slaps you so I'll be blowing again tomorrow or Thursday morning. Much colder here so I can't pack it down before I blow most of it off. I took a nice walk out behind the house while the snow was falling and went to my deer blind. As much as I hate the heavy wet snow it sure is pretty. Texted you a nice picture from my phone but I can't get it to post here.

Comment

• Here is Gary's Snow...{Not} looking forward to a bunch by this time tomorrow

Gary Snow.jpg

Comment

• Gary
                              Gary commented
                              Editing a comment
                              That is the view of the deer trail from my blind where the 8 pointer met his fate with my bow. Thanks for posting it Hoot!
                          Working...
                          X