Front tire replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front tire replacement

I have an '87 that I found on CL last year and I have been loving it. Finally replacing the front tire with a Shinko 244,just ordered it yesterday. I only went with this tire because other people on forums and youtube talked about it so much. I tried to do as much research online as possible but it was pretty difficult to find a tire I liked in the stock size. 3 different salesguys at 3 different shops had no insights or experience. The last guy went on a forum and said to get the one thats 5.1 in. wide because it was popular on that forum. I ride mostly in the dirt and mud so Im just hoping this all works out. Got home and measured my Trailwing and its more like 4 in. wide. My questions are, is wider better for dirt and mud? Is anyone else having these difficulties and how did you solve them? Thanks

I too have a 87 , just picked it up. And I too am going with the Shinko 244. Some say that the Shinko 241 works too. But don't have an answer for you, other than what I have read. That the Shinko 244 makes the front Tire more planted. I'm planning to ride more dirt then street. So I'm think going with the Shinko 244 is a great idea.

Comment

Sure wish HOOT with his SAND riding experience would stop by with tire advise but great first couple of post
      I will try not to blow the forum up!

Comment

Almost forgot welcome aboard ..pics or it didn't happen
        I will try not to blow the forum up!

Comment

I'm fixing to replace the stock DeathWing on my '05 as well, so can't give any advice based upon experience with a certain tire. I ride entirely on dirt (mud in the winter). Think I'm gonna go with a Kenda K760, just not sure which size. I've seen 110/100 recommended, but 120/100 is closer to the stock 130/100.

Mike

Comment

Wow. That’s a tuff question and has a lot to do with riding experience, speed and riding surfaces conditions. So with that here’s my opinion. I ride at least one time a week and have been riding for 45 years. I still ride race bikes and big enduro bikes along with a TW so I feel I can speak with some first hand knowledge. Wide front tires are great for quickly getting on top of the sand, important when it’s deep. At high speeds they surf well, great for dune and beach riding where your cruising. For mixed enduro conditions where your turning fast and tight I believe a narrower tire is better. You’ve heard I’m sure that you should slide up on your seat when going into a turn for more traction and to avoid washing out. Well, you get more pounds per inch of pressure with a narrower tire.... but how narrow? You know the most famous front enduro tire is called a “fatty”! (It’s not really that wide though, but it is wider) Here’s the thing, the right tire for you is maybe not the right tire for someone else, there are too many variables but end of day one tire generally sticks out as a good all around tire.

For the TW200 a Shinko 241 is about one of the best for mixed conditions. Before that the 244 was the golden child. However if you’ll be riding deep sticky mud get a nasty knobby.

Originally posted by Pshred80s View Post
            I have an '87 that I found on CL last year and I have been loving it. Finally replacing the front tire with a Shinko 244,just ordered it yesterday. I only went with this tire because other people on forums and youtube talked about it so much. I tried to do as much research online as possible but it was pretty difficult to find a tire I liked in the stock size. 3 different salesguys at 3 different shops had no insights or experience. The last guy went on a forum and said to get the one thats 5.1 in. wide because it was popular on that forum. I ride mostly in the dirt and mud so Im just hoping this all works out. Got home and measured my Trailwing and its more like 4 in. wide. My questions are, is wider better for dirt and mud? Is anyone else having these difficulties and how did you solve them? Thanks
            Last edited by JerseyJeeper; 12-30-2019, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyJeeper View Post
              Wide front tires are great for quickly getting on top of the sand, important when it’s deep. For mixed enduro conditions where your turning fast and tight I believe a narrower tire is better.
              I gave up the race bikes years ago, but I agree with the above. To me, the stock Deathwing just feels sluggish when turning. I guess it's the old "objects in motion want to stay in motion" thing. But then, the TW is kind of a sluggish bike. Even though I ride at a slower pace these days, I'm looking for a tire that doesn't slide out from underneath me as bad in mud, slick and/or off camber conditions so I'm going with a "nasty knobby". It sure can't get much worse!

Mike

Comment

My bike came with a 5.10 Golden Boy, which I got rid of after a few weeks and went with a trials tire ( MT 43).
                I found the golden boy just would not hook up the way I expected it to. The trials tire has been great for the terrain I ride which includes: the PNW, Oregon dunes, Moab, Idaho and Arizona.

Comment

Golden Boy. Thought you were talking about a Henry rifle. Googled it and saw it's the Shinko 244. Learn something new every day!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by ejfranz View Post
                    My bike came with a 5.10 Golden Boy, which I got rid of after a few weeks and went with a trials tire ( MT 43).
                    I found the golden boy just would not hook up the way I expected it to. The trials tire has been great for the terrain I ride which includes: the PNW, Oregon dunes, Moab, Idaho and Arizona.
                    I like those MT 43's myself. Good choice.

Comment

No one ever talks about the Mitas ET01, but it also is a good trials tire. Have not had it on the front of a TW, but it worked well on the back of my Scorpa Easy.

Comment

• TW Admin
                        TW Admin commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm going to check it out. Thanks!
                    Working...
                    X