• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes

Anyone ever wanted a rear disk brake?
    2018 TW200
    2020 KLX300R

sure, it would look cool and most likely stop a little better, buy i have never had a problem stopping

Comment

I do a lot of 2 up with the wife. There have been a couple of times I got a little worried. I have done some research on the rear brake. I already put the XT longer arm on. Made a slight bit of difference. I found a total disk conversion kit for the tw200. Only one problem....you have to take your bike to their shop to have it done.......in Japan. I was just looking at my apollo 250. Doesn't look like it would be that hard to cobble some parts from other bikes to get a rear disk. I saw some pictures of a guy that had done a setup himself. Just no part numbers or blueprints. Surely someone else has tried it.
      2018 TW200
      2020 KLX300R

Comment

Originally posted by Apolloha View Post
        Anyone ever wanted a rear disk brake?
        I did want a disk until I put on a rear lever from a YAMAHA DT250 REAR BACK BRAKE PLATE DRUM ARM. It was a big difference.

Here's a pic of one but there are a lot of yamaha ones that fit that are longer for better leverage.

The key though was new pads and cleaning the drum regularly. The dust that builds up is a problem, it reduces friction.

YAMAHA DT250 REAR BACK BRAKE PLATE DRUM ARM.JPG
        Last edited by JerseyJeeper; 02-19-2020, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyJeeper View Post

I did want a disk until I put on a rear lever from a YAMAHA DT250 REAR BACK BRAKE PLATE DRUM ARM. It was a big difference.

Here's a pic of one but there are a lot of yamaha ones that fit that are longer for better leverage.

The key though was new pads and cleaning the drum regularly. The dust that builds up is a problem, it reduces friction.

YAMAHA DT250 REAR BACK BRAKE PLATE DRUM ARM.JPG
          Is that arm the same length as the XT arm? Did you put the whole assembly on or just the arm? Ever tried after market shoes?
          2018 TW200
          2020 KLX300R

Comment

I've never had much luck with after market shoes and I've tried several different brands. The stock OEM's just work better.

Comment

Originally posted by Apolloha View Post

Is that arm the same length as the XT arm? Did you put the whole assembly on or just the arm? Ever tried after market shoes?
              I was told it was longer, I can measure my XT this weekend if you want. I got this one because it was forged and looked better than the stamped steel. This pic was off Ebay yesterday. I had found new old stock (arm only for $15.00 there too). My experience was OEM "New Old Stock" off ebay, real old ones with real asbestos or whatever they used back then is way better than current but OEM is the best i've used. The new stuff glazes up to quick and is not good in water and sand at all. So I searched out and found a few old sets of shoes. One point to note. A longer brake arm will make your pedal need a longer throw but I like it that way, easier to feather in single track without generating so much heat. Carbon based shoes don't last as long but don't brake fade as much, bi metals heat quick and eat drums fast. The real key as I said is regular maintenance. If they glaze a wire brush on a drill solves that quick.

Comment

I am still thinking about this.....almost a year later. I have some extra cheap parts I am going to do a prototype build with. It is a slow process of studying parts and measuring. Here is my start. The ring with the slit will fit in the brake drum. The other ring is an adapter to hold the disk to the hub.
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.
                Last edited by Apolloha; 11-28-2021, 12:01 PM.
                2018 TW200
                2020 KLX300R

Comment

Thank God, a real TW post....Thank you Apolloha...

Comment

Yeah Hoot. I am going to try to put together a rear disk brake kit. Well at least a list of off the shelf parts. From a little research I believe it can be done. It's not going to be pretty but hopefully mechanically very functional. Stay tuned.
                  2018 TW200
                  2020 KLX300R

Comment

On the way.

​​​​​​​
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.
                    2018 TW200
                    2020 KLX300R

Comment

Came in today! Just by holding it up to the rear wheel it looks like it will work. I think the BIG problem is going to be getting the brake pedal to work with the master cylinder. I am shooting for no modification to the bike. As bolt on as I can get. This first attempt will be with the cheapest brakes I could find that looked like they would fit. Hopefully I can improve quality as I learn what is needed. Of course it is one of those things where you can say " Am I poor or did i spend too much on bike parts?".
                      2018 TW200
                      2020 KLX300R

Comment

Gonna take a brake. Pun intended. I am still working this disk brake thing out. I am just gonna take a break from technology for a while. I will be back with this rear disk brake when I get it completed. I am taking pictures and writing down part numbers.
                        2018 TW200
                        2020 KLX300R

Comment

We are a specialty parts manufacturer for Mini Adventure Motorcycles such as the Yamaha TW200.

Won't be long now. This guy is working OT on the tdub options.
                          2018 TW200
                          2020 KLX300R

Comment

Working...
                          X